Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Crown Prince, Deputy Ruler of Sharjah and Chairman of Sharjah Executive Council (SEC), chaired, on Tuesday, in the presence of Sheikh Abdullah bin Salem bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Deputy Ruler of Sharjah and Deputy Chairman of SEC, the weekly meeting of SEC. The Council issued Resolution No. (22) of 2021 regarding the establishment and organisation of the Sharjah Center for Voluntary Work (SCVW).
The meeting, which was held in the Ruler’s Office, discussed a number of topics on its agenda to follow up on the most prominent developments in government work and plans to develop services in various government departments in the Emirate.
The Council issued Resolution No. 22 of 2021 regarding the establishment and organisation of the Sharjah Center for Voluntary Work. The resolution stipulated that a center concerned with voluntary work should be established in the emirate called the “Sharjah Center for Voluntary Work”, to be affiliated to the Sharjah Social Services Department (SSSD), following its organisational structure.
The Center’s main headquarters shall be in the city of Sharjah, and based on the decision of the Chairman of the Sharjah Social Services Department, it may establish branches for it in the rest of the cities and regions of the Emirate.
According to the decision, the Center aims to achieve the following; spreading and promoting the culture of volunteering and raising awareness of its importance; organising and developing voluntary work in the Emirate; enhancing diversity and innovation in voluntary programs and initiatives at the emirate level; promoting social bonds between members of society; as well as encouraging individuals and entities to participate in voluntary work.
In accordance with the decision, the Center, in order to achieve its objectives, shall have the right to exercise its various competencies, including the following:
- Developing the general policy and strategic plans for organising and improving the volunteer work in the Emirate.
- Establishing a platform for volunteer work in the Emirate, and linking it to the National Volunteering Platform in coordination with the Ministry of Community Development.
- Managing, organising and supervising voluntary work in the Emirate.
- Issuing of membership cards for volunteers registered with the center.
- Granting the necessary permits for volunteer work and voluntary opportunities and the establishment of families and volunteer teams in the Emirate in accordance with the controls and procedures approved by the Center.
- Organising the registration procedures for volunteers, families, volunteer teams and volunteer opportunities with the Center.
- Organising training courses, providing technical recommendation and various aspects of appropriate care to raise the level of efficiency of volunteer work in the Emirate.
- Examining and adjudicating on complaints raised by volunteers, voluntary teams or bodies organising voluntary work in the Emirate or those that are restricted against any of them.
- Regulating the requirements and controls for establishing voluntary families.
- Coordination with the Ministry regarding the mechanism for signing violations and penalties stipulated in Federal Law No. (13) of 2018.
- Organising and documenting volunteer work, volunteer hours, and economic savings for volunteer work in the Emirate.
- Cooperating and coordinating with all federal, local and private government agencies regarding the implementation of voluntary work.
- Concluding contracts, agreements, memoranda of understanding and partnerships after being approved by the Executive Council.
- Representing the Emirate in local, regional and international conferences, symposia and meetings, and holding events in coordination with the competent authorities.
- Any other functions assigned to the Center by the Board or the Chairman.
During its meeting, the Council also discussed a number of proposals submitted by the Department of Planning and Survey on providing the best services on the external roads of the Emirate, which will contribute to serving road users and achieving integration with the wonderful urban appearance in all cities and regions.